Sunday 8 October 2017

THE IRON MAN FROM EAGLE...


Copyright relevant owner

Due to overwhelming demand (nope, not a peep from anyone), I've decided to show you The IRON MAN strip from the very same issue of EAGLE as in the previous post.  This looks as if it might've been originally published in colour somewhere else before its b&w appearance in Eagle, but if so, I don't have a Scooby where.  If you know, inform the rest of us and lift the heavy, burdensome veil of ignorance from our puzzled, furrowed brows.  Nice art, eh?  Why not extol its virtues in the comments section?

******

Come to think of it, The Iron Man first appeared in BOYS' WORLD before it was merged with Eagle, so perhaps this strip is a reprint from that short-lived title. Illustrators on the strip were GERRY EMBLETON (brother of RON), and also MARTIN SALVADOR, who I'm guessing drew these two pages as they don't look like Gerry's style.  Again, anyone know?  

10 comments:

Warren JB said...

"Nice art, eh? Why not extol its virtues in the comments section?"

First time I've laid eyes on it, but it's sure nicely done!

Kid said...

That's what I thought too, WJB. Very clear storytelling, and nicely-detailed rendering.

Dave S said...

Nice, I'd never heard of that Iron Man character before. Must admit, I thought the pic of him on the cover of the comic in the previous post was a drawing of Ultimo, semi-obscure villain from the days where Gene Colin was drawing the Marvel Iron Man.

Kid said...

I remember Ultimo. Didn't he later become a bra?

Dave S said...

Yep, Ultimo does look like an unfortunate choice of name when you consider what it's associated with now. Mind you, at least he didn't have the worst name of any Marvel baddie - surely Ballox the Monstroid deserves that title!

Kid said...

Depends on how you pronounce that 'a' I suppose, DS, but it's certainly a name that lends itself to ridicule. Did you finish reading your Warlord? How was it?

Dave S said...

I always pronounced the Monstroid's first name as Ball-ox. Partly because I just assumed that's how it was said, and partly because it sounded funnier!

Yep, I read the rest of Warlord, and loved it. I think on every other page there was something that made me think 'they'd never be allowed to print that these days!' Really enjoyed it, Kid, it was like taking a trip back to the days when kids could read the Victor or the Warlord without adults hysterically assuming it would warp their brains and starting some righteous crusade to ban all fun.

Thanks again for the comic, Kid, it has been added to what I like to call Dave's Grand Archive of Heartwarming Treasures (although others would probably refer to it as 'some boxes of daft stuff that look more of a fire hazard than treasure').

Kid said...

Ban all fun? Now there's an idea that appeals to me - especially after a house across the road had a party on Friday that lasted to 3am, with people standing outside, talking (and swearing) at the top of their voices as if it were 3 in the afternoon. Where's Union Jack Jackson when you need him, eh? (Nice to know that Warlord has found a good home.)

Andrew Gadd said...

Ah, The Iron Man from the Eagle. Reminds me of my childhood and Iron Man was always the 'first read' when the Eagle arrived. Thanks for a trip down memory lane!

Kid said...

My pleasure, AG. Hope you'll take another stroll with us down memory lane in the not too distant future.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...