Friday 28 July 2017

ARE YOU SINGING THE OLD-AGE BLUES...?

     

                                                   Bald and toothless, growing old,
                                                   hard of hearing, bent and stooped;
                                                   my limbs won't do a thing they're told,
                                                   and in my boxers I've just pooped.  
                                                   Although I creak when I get up
                                                   and walking can be quite a grind,
                                                   and through a straw my soup I sup,
                                                   and cannot keep a thought in mind;
                                                   I try to keep stiff upper lip,
                                                   and not to let things get me down,
                                                   but there's no firmness in my grip,
                                                   and gravity gives me a frown.

                                                   Oh, curse old age and all it brings,
                                                   it doesn't come alone, it's true,
                                                   I'd need a whole new set of springs,
                                                   in order to keep up with you.
                                                   I'm past my prime and on the heap,
                                                   I've got a case of "old-age blues",
                                                   recalling my last "lover's leap",
                                                   it never would've made the news.
                                                   I never had much luck with dames,
                                                   they always went for other men,
                                                   but lust no longer now inflames
                                                   my passions past a count of ten.

                                                   I'm yellow, wrinkled, cannot see,
                                                   and fear the doctor when he calls;
                                                   I'll doubtless fail my "M.O.T.",
                                                   but must accept whate'er befalls.
                                                   When old friends die and are despatched,
                                                   it's not compassion that I lack;
                                                   from funerals I stay detached,
                                                   at my age, not worth coming back.
                                                   So pity me, my life's near done;
                                                   this battle I'm destined to lose,
                                                   and listen to my words, my son -
                                                   one day you'll sing the "old-age blues".

1 comment:

Kid said...

Another masterpiece ignored. There ain't no pleasing some folks.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...