Wednesday 23 September 2015

KLASSIC KIRBY KOMIC KOVERS - CAPTAIN VICTORY #1...

Image copyright relevant owner

I was excited to see this mag back in 1981.  A new company, a new comic, and an old writer and artist that we knew we could depend on to entertain and enthral us beyond measure.  Sadly, it was not to be.  JACK KIRBY could still throw out ideas by the bucket-load, but none of them seemed to stick, alas.

The Kirby Age of comics had passed some time before, but it took us all a good while to realize it.  Whether Jack ever did is uncertain, but I'd guess he was too smart not to know.

6 comments:

Phil said...

Goes to show Kirby needed Stan more than he realized. Kirby had ideas but his dialogue wasn't English as spoken by humans. All you need to do is read a Lee/Kirby FF story to see what they could do together. Then read a New Gods comic to see why Jack needed an editor/ someone to fill in the word balloons. As for Stan, we already know his how he would work with other artists. Yes I bought those Kirby books and honestly they aren't very good. I guess I kept hoping.

Kid said...

I think we all kept hoping, Phil. All but the most diehard Kirby fans (who even love his art in Hunger Dogs) know that after Marvel (the first time), Jack had his powers halved by Odin.

Unknown said...

Yeah this was not great and to be fair to Kirby I think he was on auto pilot by this time, sadly his futuristic art and ideas that in the 60's early 70's were so fresh by this time were looking really flat and ironically very dated . Saying that I really like Kirby's "Black Panther" series when he went back to Marvel and his "Eternal's" comic (which I preferred to his New Gods comic series)) but where the idea for "Devil Dinosaur " came from I have no idea

Kid said...

His comics were like a throwback to the '50s in many ways, I thought, McS. Incidentally, search back a few posts - Judith awaits you.

Unknown said...

lol good one :)

Kid said...

Knew you'd like it.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...