Friday 15 May 2015

THE ORIGINAL DANGER MOUSE...


Copyright REBELLION

From SMASH! Annual for 1967 comes DANGER MOUSE!  Not the DAVID JASON-voiced rodent of TV fame, but one who pre-dated him by a good number of years in the pages of one of Britain's favourite weekly comics back in the '60s.

If I ever win the Lottery, I'd love to revive some of the comics of yesteryear, with all-new stories starring the characters that I read as a youth.  Would they sell, do you think?  More to the point - would you buy them?  Let's hear your thoughts.

7 comments:

DeadSpiderEye said...

I think I would've chosen blue or green as my second colour.

Kid said...

But did you like it?

DeadSpiderEye said...

Yeah, it's OK, the style suits the story but it would've just been better left as black and white. Those reds just kill the art, which needs the space to work against the solid blacks. It looks like the tone was applied direct to the contact sheet, then screened onto the plate but I would've said the artist drew it with tone in mind. Is that red applied like that in the rest of the comic?

Kid said...

It's an Annual, DSE - some other strips are in the same colour scheme and some are in 'full' colour. I'm so used to it now that it looks okay to me.

DeadSpiderEye said...

Ah, the notorious annual colourist, that reinforces my suspicion that those weird colour jobs are done directly on separations. Odd though, cos this looks like a spot colour, not a yellow/magenta mix. I suppose they must've printed it in separate batches, one set with two colours. 1967, I imagine it's still saddle stitched, so you should be able to spot the batches.

DeadSpiderEye said...

Oh yeah, btw 1967 was a fantastic year for comic annuals.

Kid said...

I don't think the Odhams Annuals were saddle-stitched, DSE - it doesn't look like it to my eyes. I think the '60s in general was a fantastic time for comic Annuals. Unlike today, sadly.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...