Tuesday 12 August 2014

AT LAST! SECRET ORIGINS OF THE SUPER DC HEROES...

All images copyright DC COMICS

It just doesn't seem like 38 years since I first saw the above book advertised in the pages of a DC comic and thought how nice it would be to have one.  Back then, however, American items were far more difficult to come by for British readers unless they were also sold on these shores - and, alas, not everything was.  If the book was ever available in this country at the time, I never saw it - nor have I ever spoken to anyone who had a copy back then.

Fortunately (sometimes), the Internet has made our wide world a much smaller place, and today I gleefully received what appears to be a first edition of The SECRET ORIGIN Of SUPER DC HEROES.  For a book which is nearly 40 years old, the condition is immaculate, and my next step is to secure a protective clear 'library' sleeve for the dustjacket.  This was obviously an attempt by NATIONAL PERIODICAL PUBLICATIONS (as DC was known at the time) to plough the same field that MARVEL had with ORIGINS Of MARVEL COMICS, which had been a best-seller a year or two before. 

Several copies of this book are currently on sale on eBay, in hardback and softcover editions, in various conditions, in prices ranging from around $30 right up to the $300 mark.  Believe me, I got it at an absolute steal for a fraction of that higher amount and less than the lower one.  So far, I've only had a chance to browse through it, and I've detected just one little mistake. The date of the 'creation' of the Silver Age FLASH is given as 1967 instead of '56, but let's assume it's just a typo and forgive it this one indiscretion.

However, rather than witter on about it, why not show you some of the interior pages?  No sooner said than done, faithful fans (of comics, not me) so hold onto your hats - we're off!






Okay, that's enough - there's no point in spoiling you.  However, just look at all the characters (below) covered in the book - nice, eh?   Might be worth a visit to eBay, don't you think?

16 comments:

dbutler16 said...

Are you trying to bankrupt me? Actually $30 would be a good deal for that, but $300 is way too rich for my blood. It does indeed look awesome.

Kid said...

Actually, if you have the stories in other publications (and I have most if not all of them) then you don't really need the book. However, it's one I set my heart on 38 years ago and it gives me a sense of accomplishment to finally own it.

John Pitt said...

I recognise the Batman origin from a red paperback I bought around '66 with the origin in black & white.( didn't you once show us this very same book?)

Kid said...

I did indeedy, JP. It was re-released by Titan Books (with a different cover and slightly abridged) in the early or mid-'90s, I think (if not earlier).

dbutler16 said...

I've got ab out half of these origins, but this does look like a pretty neat book.

Kid said...

Well worth having, DB. If you can get an inexpensive copy, go for it!

Graham said...

I remember getting this for Christmas when it first came out. I was about as excited as you are now. That was the first time all of those stories had been collected like that and I just loved it. It was one of my favorite books growing up because I was somewhat partial to the DC heroes at that time.

Kid said...

Straight on to eBay with you, Graham. You can obtain a replacement copy and be as happy as I am now. (Or do you still have your original?)

Graham said...

Still have the original somewhere at my parents' house....stashed away in a cabinet or closet. I got it and the Marvel set (Origins, Son of..., and Bring On The Bad Guys) at the same time. :)

Kid said...

Graham, I'd get over to your parents' house and nab those books pronto. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard of parents giving their children's stuff to charity shops or jumble sales, thinking "They won't want these old books or toys any more!"

dbutler16 said...

Tell me about it, Kid. Say goodbye to all of my Star Wars spaceships (though my dad did hang on to the action figures). My mom kept all of my comics for about 15 years until I claimed them, but my treasury sized comics went AWOL somewhere along the way.

Kid said...

It's always sad to find out that things you thought were being kept safe for you and that you could reclaim at any time, were discarded many years back without you knowing. Parents, eh?

dbutler16 said...

Yeah, parents. Can't live with 'em, couldn't have lived without 'em.

Kid said...

Wisdom? On this blog?! We must be in an alternate universe.

Simon B said...

I've still got my slightly beat-up copy of this book that I've owned since way back in 1976. There's no UK price on it so, as you say, I don't think it was published here. I've got no idea where my copy came from... but I'm glad I've got it :-)

Kid said...

Ah, so it WAS available then. No doubt mail order places like Dark They Were & Golden Eyed and Maya Merchandising imported some to sell here. Thanks, Cerebus.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...