Friday 1 November 2013

GUYS & GUISERS...


Copyright REBELLION

Yeah, I know Hallowe'en is done and dusted, but the mood still hangs heavy in the air.  Way back On October 25th, 1969, the third issue of WHIZZER & CHIPS went on sale, with a GUY FAWKES mask as a free gift.  It looks like the artwork of TOM KERR to me, but regardless, I remember rushing over to the newsagent's shop across the road from my house to buy it, the minute it opened in the early hours of that Autumn morning a whopping 44 years ago.  (The comic bears the date of November 1st, but British comics were traditionally dated up to a week ahead to give them a longer shelf-life.)


Handy how both Hallowe'en and Guy Fawkes Night were covered by this issue coming out in advance of the two occasions. I wonder if the mask was used by 'guisers' on October 31st, and then 'recycled' for use on their 'guys' on November 5th?  If so, quite a few of them probably perished on top of a bonfire in parks and gardens the length and breadth of the U.K.

The mask seems smaller than I remember, though that may just be down to me being bigger nowadays than I was back in 1969.  If anyone has the mask, could they measure from the top of the head to the tip of the beard and let me know the result?  That way I'll know for sure whether mine is an original or a replica.  If it's the latter, it's very nicely done.  (As was I.)

(Incidentally, the exact some mask had been given away with an issue of BUSTER back in 1965.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason I always seem to associate "Whizzer and Chips" with being an early-mid 70s comic and despite remembering picking this issue up (a free gift was always a treat in those days) was surprised it came out in 1969 (must be my age). Nice to hear mention of Tom Kerr - I have always felt he has been grossly overlooked in UK comics (Oddball Oates in the Lion one of my all time favourites). The last dozen or so posts have been (for me at least) excellent and have transported me back to a better time, for a few minutes at least. Keep up the excellent work - McScotty

Kid said...

Glad you've enjoyed them, McScotty, and thanks for your support.

Anonymous said...

Mr Kid, obviously I am not Scottish. Down our neck of the woods in England, Halloween was not celebrated 40 years ago. Bonfire night and Guy Fawkes was the big thing! The only times I ever saw trick and treating in those days were on the American TV shows, I particularly remember the Charlie Brown cartoon.
Giving that Guy an orange and red face, looks like he's already on fire!
I too like McScotty did not begin reading W and C until the 70's but I thought it was a very unique comic with the two in one concept. I really liked Space School (if that was indeed what it was called and if it was even in the comic) because it was sci-fi.
Gerry

John Pitt said...

Guy Fawkes, - what a guy! If only he were around now! - I have a little job for him. I'd even settle for V for Vendetta - they're needed now more than ever!!

Anonymous said...

Have fond memories of those early Whizzer and Chips comics. The Sid Says sticker sheet was a great free gift. Nirvana was settling down to a freshly bought comic, bag of crisps, and no school in the morning! I wish they could bottle that feeling and sell it over the counter.

Cheers, Ken.

Kid said...

You and me both, Ken. Whoever could do that would be a billionaire within a week.

Kid said...

Almost ten years later and I've just noticed I missed responding to Gerry's comment - don't know how that happened. Apologies and a belated thank you, G, for taking the time and trouble to contribute.

Kid said...

Oops, missed JP's as well. I must've got distracted somehow.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...