Monday 19 August 2013

CLARK GOES SOLO - FAVOURITE COMICS OF THE PAST - PART SEVENTEEN...

All images copyright DC COMICS

Ah, what do I write about today, that I haven't already waxed both lyrically and eloquently upon in previous posts, in an excruciating, unnecessary and agonising amount of trivial detail?  Aye, there's the rub!

The puzzling paradoxes of time?  Done that.  The myriad mysteries of life, the universe and everything?  Been there.  The pleasant pursuit of happiness in the modern world?  Saving that for a rainy day. 

So what does that leave me?  H'mm, well, I could always write something about a comic or toy I suppose.

Let's talk about SUPERMAN #201.  I remember the day I first got this comic on a Saturday afternoon back in the '60s while on a trip 'round Glasgow's famous BARROWLAND market.  If I recall correctly, this was the same day I again saw the CECIL COLEMAN SUPERCAR toy, which I had first clapped eyes upon a year or two before in, of all places, the SAFEWAY supermarket in my local town centre.

On both occasions I was disappointed, as my parents wouldn't buy it for me, but later I was allowed to choose a comic from a stall selling U.S. comicbooks.  (Of course, there's always a chance I'm combining two separate Saturdays in my mind, but it's my story and I'll 'lie' if I want to.)  The comic I picked was Superman #201, and I recall walking around 'the Barras' with my nose buried in its pages.  I remember both stories in the issue, but in particular the back-up tale, which was drawn by either GEORGE PAPP or AL PLASTINO).

In fact, it's fair to say that I recollect the main story just as well, but I don't associate it with the crowded aisles of the Barras quite as much, for some strange reason.  (Perhaps I saved that tale for outside.)  The cover just screams 'Glasgow' to me whenever I look at it.

So there you are then.  Another favourite comic of the past, which I treasure for itself as much as for the memories it conjures up in the mazes of my mind.  Do you have any nostalgic associations with this particular issue which you'd care to share with fellow readers?  Then feel free to leave a comment.


    

6 comments:

Norman Boyd said...

It's incredible Kid, how such a strong cover by Curt Swan - iconic almost - concealed IMHO such strange ideas within! But that was the joy of discovery I miss these days when I buy anything...I will have read a lot about it already online! *NOSTALGIC SIGH*

Kid said...

Norman, I miss those days as well. Nowadays, I'll buy several comics and it takes me weeks, sometimes months, to get around to reading them - if I even do. Yet give me a comic from yesteryear and I'm instantly transfixed. Another nostalgic sigh.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if that cover inspired in anyway the famous Spider-man issue 50 cover and story "Spider-man no more".Im the same re new comics I have a pile of them that I cant get around to as well . McScotty

Kid said...

You never know, McScotty - covers inspiring other covers is quite a common occurrence, so you could well be right.

Anonymous said...

Spider-Man No More! was dated July 1967, so it would have been released in May 1967, while the Superman was dated November 1967, so it was released September 1967. Marvel was first by 4 months!

Kid said...

Funny how the Superman comic looks older 'though, eh? Shows how dated DC mags looked in comparison to Marvel. Perhaps Spidey may've inspired Supes in this instance.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...