Thursday 20 June 2013

CALLING INTERNATIONAL RESCUE...


Copyright relevant owner

Here, for all you Crivs, is a nicely illustrated adventure tale by BRIAN LEWIS from the 1966 THUNDERBIRDS EXTRA, featuring GERRY ANDERSON's enterprising and intrepid crew of INTERNATIONAL RESCUE.  Looking at the cover and artwork below takes me right back to those searing Summers of the sensational 1960s faster than I can blink.  Ah, those were the days - wish I could have them back again.  Ready?  "5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - Thunderbirds are go!"

This is the same artist (now sadly deceased) who drew CHARLIE'S CHOICE (a humour strip about a young lad and his telly) for SMASH!  Talk about talent and versatility?  Then chances are you're talking about Brian Lewis, one of the finest comic artists that this country ever produced.





7 comments:

Kid said...

I emailed this page to legendary comics editor Dez Skinn, who used to employ Brian Lewis on various projects, and asked him for comment. This was his response:

Amazing stuff! He really did follow in Frank Bellamy's footsteps VERY well. Hadn't known about this before. Well done.

Dez

Michael Perridge said...

I think he did some fantastic work on Hammer House of Horror - Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires as I recall. Thanks for sharing this rarity.

Kid said...

Yup, I've seen some of the stuff he did for Dez's mags - all top-quality stuff.

Anonymous said...

Loved his stuff for Boys' World (john Brody) and Eagle (Guinea Pig). This stuff deserves much wider exposure.

Kid said...

Indeed it does, Anon. I wonder if Dez knows about the strips you mention? Bound to, probably, but I didn't.

B Smith said...

Wow! The versatility displayed is just amazing - wonder if today's talents could do as well?

And as a kid, that cover alone would have had me reaching for the money - colour TV didn't arrive in Australia till 1975....seeing any Thunderbirds material in colour was a rare thing indeed.

Kid said...

B, I don't think we got a colour TV until around the mid-'70s, even 'though just about everyone else I knew had one.

Yeah, the artwork's top-notch, eh? Not every artist, good as they may be, are as equally adept at adventure AND humour strips.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...