Wednesday 22 August 2012

THE ONLY GOOD ALIEN - PART TEN OF FAVOURITE COMICS OF THE PAST...

Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

Returning yet again to the theme of memory, The AVENGERS #89 is a comic which I associate with two places: the first being the seaside town of Largs, which is where I purchased this esteemed publication in June or July of 1971, and the second being my living-room back in my home town, in which I sat by the fireside and re-read the comic and soaked up SAL BUSCEMA's art.


What's surprising is that the issue is dated for June 1971 (though in the States, it would've come out around March), so for me to have actually obtained the mag when I did is quite amazing.  Usually, U.S. comics didn't show up in Britain until many months, sometimes years later, so this seems to be one of those seemingly rare occasions when distribution here wasn't so far behind as was frequently the case.  Not quite sure why, but it occasionally happened with other issues too.


My family were holidaying in Largs that year, and my father had gone into a newsagent's to buy some tobacco for his pipe.  Also inside was a spinner-rack of U.S. comicbooks from which I chose this collectors' item issue.  Apparently, it was the first episode of what would later become known as the KREE/SKRULL WAR, but I was ignorant of that fact at the time.  I didn't get to see subsequent issues until they were reprinted in a weekly British MARVEL comic several years later.  By then, I was living in another house and that holiday in Largs seemed like an inordinately long time in the past.


What I find curious is that the cover instantly transports me back to the newsagent's and surrounding environs, but the splash page (and others) summons up images of my living-room, with me sat beside a big brass log box next to our fireplace back home.  Isn't it funny how one comic can carry associations with two different places, eh?  As far as I know, I've not been back to Largs since.  I wonder if that newsagent's still exists?  If so, it's most likely had a refit by now and looks nothing like it once did.  Wouldn't it be nice though, if it remained the same?  That way, if ever I should return, crossing its threshold for the first time in over 40 years would be like stepping back into yesteryear.


Although, funnily enough, whenever I hold this comic in my hands and pore over its four-colour pages for the umpteenth time, the exact same experience is achieved.  Spooky, huh?

******

UPDATE: On June 26th 2014, I returned to Largs on a day trip, but could see no sign of the newsagent's/tobacconists from 1971.  It was an odd experience because, although having last been there 43 years before, it seemed to me like I'd been only yesterday, making the changes that had occurred in the intervening period all the more difficult to accept.  Strange indeed.    

4 comments:

Dougie said...

I had that experience going into the only shop in the village of Sandhead two years ago- for the first time in nearly forty years. It sent me reeling for a second. I could taste Lyons Maid Jelly Terror and Captain Cody ice lollies.

Kid said...

That's happened to me before when revisiting childhood haunts. The thing is, when you step outside again, you're surprised for a split-second to find you're not still back in 1972, or whenever. Strange.

Simon B said...

This issue of The Avengers seems to crop up quite often in people's "Best Of..." lists. I know that Steve of "...Does Comics" fame has mentioned it before and it's definitely in my all-time Top Ten.

I was intrigued by Captain Marvel and the Kree and loved the spooky quality of the opening scenes as our "heroes" seemed to be ruthlessly pursuing Mar-Vell. And those panels depicting Cap ripping that lift door open really impressed me as a kid. But then I'm easily impressed :-)

Of course, I had to wait years to read the rest of the story in the UK reprint. But it was worth it...

Kid said...

Cerebus, I think this issue demonstrates that Sal Buscema was capable of giving his big brother John a good run for his money every now and again.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...