Wednesday 14 March 2012

PART THREE OF FANTASTIC COVER GALLERY...


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Heads up, you lucky people.  Here we have the next instalment of cracking covers (Gromit) from the ODHAMS PRESS periodical FANTASTIC, first published in the late '60s.  I believe any new back-page pin-ups were either by BARRY WINDSOR SMITH or STEVE PARKHOUSE (husband of 2000 A.D. letterer, ANNIE PARKHOUSE), and these were alternated with reprints of U.S. pin-ups or illustrations adapted for the purpose.

So without any further ado (must remember to pick up a fresh supply when I'm out), let's get started.











Don't know about all you Crivs, but I just love that pin-up of SUE STORM, originally printed in FANTASTIC FOUR #10.  Tune in again soon - for further Fantastic covers from yesteryear.

4 comments:

Nick Caputo said...

kid,

The Quicksilver pin-up looks like a Barry Smith drawing to my eyes. Iceman appears to be a swipe/alteration of a Werner Roth drawing.

Kid said...

I'd say you're spot-on with Iceman, Nick. The Quicksilver one I'm a little less sure of. Could be Smith, but - seems a little awkward to me. Could it be Parkhurst? I'm just not sure.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Spain.

I like this blog but a I miss pages in black and white in order to appreciate the drawings of masters like Kirby, Ditko, COlan, etc.

Kid said...

And greetings TO Spain.

Glad you like the blog. There are quite a few black and white pages of Jack Kirby art in one post entitled "Vince the Prince - or Forgetta Colletta?" (if I remember correctly).



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...