Monday 19 March 2012

A MARVEL "STICK-UP"...


Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

Nowadays, we live in an age where publishers think nothing of putting a couple of quid or more on the price of a comic and adding a load of useless junk to justify doing so.  I remember when a poster or some stickers were the only inducements required to tempt us to purchase a comic that we probably would've bought anyway - and all at no extra cost to the reader.

Here's an example: The MIGHTY WORLD Of MARVEL #3 from 1972 (dated October 21st, but on sale from the 14th) - plus the free gift included in that week's issue.  Though let's be totally honest - the JIM STARLIN and (perhaps) JOE SINNOTT cover would've sold the comic on its own.

5 comments:

Dougie said...

I don't remember these at all but I had the poster from MWOM 1 on my wall for several years.
I'd like to see the Marvel bubble gum stickers again( was there a Son of Satan one or is that wishful thinking?). There was a card in every packet that formed a composite of the cover to FF 100.

Kid said...

Hi Dougie. Actually, the poster was something one sent away for after collecting tokens over several weeks. I'll post a picture of it sometime soon. The free gift with MWOM #1 was a Hulk iron-on transfer.

Regarding the Marvel stickers you mention, I don't have any memory of them. Were they in a UK or US comic?

Anonymous said...

There was a set of Topps Comic book hero stickers (with bubble gum0 in 1975 (that has a SoS sticker see link) but these were not in the UK Comics (there were also card sets from Topps around that time also - I remember the give away poster well and all the glues to it in the MWOM ("its bigger than a bread bin! ??! etc) My Hulk iron on transfer was missing/nicked from issue 1 (bought 2 copies) but got my Spidey transfer first time - I still have my stickers as well (sad as that may seem) McScotty
http://www.bubblegumcards.org/Topps%20Super%20Heroes/ComicBookCards.html

Kid said...

Thanks McScotty. I've also got the Spidey poster from saving the tokens from SMCW, as well as the one from the F.O.O.M. kit. It was huge. I've even still got the iron-on transfers from MWOM # 1 & 2. Happy days, eh?

Dougie said...

I must have collected tokens then but had no recollection of that. "Bigger than a bread bin" I do remember though because that's the FIRST thing I think about a poster (ahem).

The Topps stickers must have been available in our village shop because they were all over the headboard of my bed.

I bought a FOOM kit on ebay five or six years ago because my original had been binned long ago.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...