Friday 6 January 2012

"WITHOUT TIME AND WITHOUT END..."



I was gently brushing the dust from one of my classic collectables earlier today, when something occurred to me.  I had originally owned this particular item back in 1967 or '68, but the one I currently have is a replacement I obtained in the mid-'80s. I probably owned the original for no more than two or three years at the most, while its present-day stand-in I've now had for around 27 years.  Strange, because it still feels like a fairly recent acquisition, while the one I had as a kid seems to have been part of my childhood for far longer than it actually was.


It's the same with comics.  I remember buying the first issue of the 'new' SMASH! in March of 1969, but before the week was out I'd sold it (along with its free gift) at cover price to one of my classmates, BILLY MONTGOMERY, who'd missed out on buying his own copy earlier.  I sold it to him mid-week, intending to buy a replacement before issue #2 came out on the coming Saturday.  As it happens, I didn't manage to obtain one 'til over 15 and a half years later (October 13th, 1984, from an Edinburgh comics shop, to be exact), but I remembered practically every page as if I'd seen it only the day before.

Amazing, isn't it?  I'd only owned the original comic for three or four days at the very most, yet it had made such an enormous impression on me that when I think back, it seems that I had it for far longer.  And, just like the previous item to which I referred, those few days don't seem any less than the nearly 28 years I've owned its successor.

Which brings me closer to the point.  "Hurrah!", cry countless thousands of rabid readers. (If only.)  I was listening to a radio play a number of years back, in which someone quoted a line very close to the following one: "The memories of childhood are without time and without end."  Or it may've been "...without end and without time."  (I've tried to trace its source, but to no avail so if anybody knows its origin, feel free to let me know.)

Regardless of the exact wording, I know exactly what it means.  When I recall my childhood, it's often difficult to remember events in their proper sequence, or the exact duration of certain periods of time.  Whether I had a comic or toy for six days or six months, it all seems the same to me in retrospect.  Same goes for houses.  As a child, I once lived in a house for just over a year, but when I think back on it, my time there doesn't seem any less than the four years I spent in the house before, or the nearly seven years in the one after.  Don't get me wrong - I know there's a difference - I just don't feel there's a difference.

According to the Good Book, "One day is as a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years as one day."  When I think back to the days of my youth, I kind of know what that must feel like - though obviously on a much smaller scale.

"Without time and without end" - if only life itself were like that.  Wouldn't it be great?

7 comments:

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Excellent points and nicely stated. Relative time is of great interest to me. I think with the use of totems such as comics and records and such it might be possible for one to mentally travel back in time. At least that's what I try to do on a weekly basis.

Sometime I will do a post on that subject.

Kid said...

I'll look forward to reading it Thomas. I've touched on the subject of relative time on a few occasions. You might find my post entitled 'Time Travel A Reality' of interest.

Thanks for commenting.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

I certainly would like to read that post. I look forward to looking in on all your posts, but I'm short on time right now. How far back is the Time Travel post?

In the meantime, I've added your blog to the list of blogs I like—on my blog, The Pictorial Arts.

Sprilus said...

Loving this posting and the 'bus' one Kid.You use your blog to make us THINK.It's smarter than the average blog!!!

Kid said...

I really should learn how to post links, shouldn't I? The Time Travel post was published on April 13th, 2011, Thom. Thanks for adding me to your list. I've added your blog to mine.

***

Thanks for the kind words, Sprilus.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Whoa, Kid! That is bizarre! I just now read your Time Travel post, and it's EXACTly what I meant by my comment, yet I never read your earlier post till just this minute! Holy smoke, I think we're on to something here. Let's start a think tank to think this out. Holy tamales!

Kid said...

A case of two great minds, perhaps? My post 'Subtleties, Shadows and Shades' also touches on the subject.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...