Thursday 29 September 2011

"I YAM WHAT I YAM!"


POPEYE & Co. copyright KING FEATURES SYNDICATE, Inc.

When I was at secondary school in the '70s, my main claim to fame was drawing POPEYE.  My classmates were always pleading with me in earnest tones, "Draw Popeye, Robson, draw Popeye!"  They were entranced by the sailor's image coming to life on the page (in the back of a school jotter usually) with only a few deft scribbles.  The celebrity status accorded me, the adulation bestowed upon my exalted self, the esteem in which I was held - it was almost intoxicating as I strode heroically through the school corridors.

"Look!", cried awestruck lesser pupils as I passed, prostrating themselves in obeisance, "Tis the Mighty Robson, he who is to be regarded as unto a god by we lowly mortals!  All hail the Mighty Robson!"  Even teachers aligned themselves with the 'Cult of Robson' as it came to be known; I often used to hear them refer to me (in hushed tones and from a respectful distance naturally) as "a bit of a cult!"

Well, okay - I might, perhaps, have indulged in just the slightest bit of hyperbole halfway through that little reminiscence, but only a tad.  The reality was pretty close to how I recall.  (Cough!)

Anyway, I've continued to draw Popeye from time to time over the years, and above is a picture I whipped up for someone-or-other in the mid-'90s.  DUNN KWIK is one of many pseudonyms I use on occasion, the afore-mentioned being reserved for stuff produced in a bit of a hurry.  Still - not too shabby, is it?

6 comments:

Martin said...

When I was at secondary school, I seemed to spend most of my time trying avoid lads who bore an uncanny resemblance to Bluto.

Kid said...

When I was at secondary school, I spent a lot of my time trying to avoid GIRLS who bore an uncanny resemblance to Bluto. Why'd they always seem to single ME out?

Hackers said...

Spot on rendering of the heroic spinach muncher!

Kid said...

Ta much. I was quite pleased with it.

John Pitt said...

Never mind the picture , - just WHO IS that beautiful girl in the middle ?

Kid said...

She's a darlin', ain't she? Ah, be still my beating heart!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...