Sunday 20 February 2011

REGRETS? I'VE HAD A FEW...



The above is a letter from the late, legendary ALAN FENNELLeditor of TV CENTURY 21 and LOOK-IN, as well as the writer of various GERRY ANDERSON TV shows and numerous other projects.  Alan's self-financed eight issue run of THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO, the follow-up to EGMONT/FLEETWAY's 89 issues of THUNDERBIRDS The COMIC, had just limped to an end, no doubt losing him quite a bit of money in the process.

I had missed the last issue and 'phoned Alan about obtaining a back number, which he generously said he'd send me for nothing.  My conscience wouldn't permit me to take advantage of his good nature, however, so I forwarded him a note with enough money to cover the cost of the comic and postage.  The above letter was his response, and I couldn't help but notice the air of melancholy which ran through his thoughtful missive.  'phoned him shortly afterwards to inform him that, although I didn't know when it would be, I'd take him up on his kind offer the next time I was in London (though, as a non-drinker, it would've been a few jars of Coke in my case), but, alas, it was not to be.

One of my biggest regrets is that I never got to sit down with the editor of one of my favourite comics and writer of some of the best-loved TV shows from my childhood and "shoot the breeze", but at least have the memory of a few 'phone chats, and two or three letters from him which I still treasure.  Another time, another place perhaps, Alan - and the first round's on me.

Remind me to tell you my other Alan Fennell story sometime soon.

******

Transcript follows:

19 September 1995


Dear Gordon

Thank you for your letter and the "donation" to the Fennell benevolent fund.

You are right, it is frightening to think that all our ideas about the next century look
as though they are going to be wrong.  Far from the exciting, glamourous new world,
it looks as if we get something similar to the twentieth century, but perhaps less of it! 

I need to get away from the Thunderbirds past for a while - this evening I have just
returned from the funeral of Derek Meddings, the man who put the word special into
special effects.  Derek was a monarch in the film business and when I remember that
we worked together on more than fifty films, I realise what a privilege it was for me
to have rubbed shoulders with an Oscar winning great.

The occasion was less sombre than expected, for I met up with a whole team of old
Century 21 acquaintances, but it was sad to see the ranks dwindling.

Let me know when you are paying a visit to Fleetway, and perhaps we can meet in
London and have a few jars.

Best wishes
Alan

******

For that other story mentioned above, click here.

4 comments:

NP said...

Hard to believe it's 15 years or more since I last spoke to him. A genuine pleasure to have known him, for all the reasons you note! Once, at Fleetway, as I was leaving he asked where I was going next, and I said "to buy some socks!" to which he replied "you nut!"

Kid said...

Died on his 65th birthday, NP - that's not even old. Such a shame.

WOODSY said...

Just read this post Kid. Very poignant especially as Alan wrote it on Derek Medding's funeral day.I also read your 'other' Alan F post. Wonder if you really did pass him in the back of your parent's car! I've just gpt back from Southport, home of Dan Dare and couldn't help similar thoughts: wonder of Frank hampson and Eric Eden ever went were I went? Yes, nostalgia is wonderful!

Kid said...

Hi Woodsy. Glad you enjoyed the posts. There's quite a few more you might like - old toys, TV21 comics, etc. I've been taking a look at a couple of your blogs - great stuff.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...