Saturday 5 February 2011

ANYONE REMEMBER FRY'S 5 CENTRE?



AZTEC BAR, SUPER MOUSSE, FRY'S 5 BOYSCRESTA, ZING, MB BAR, SPANGLESJUNGLIES JELLIESBAR SIX, AMAZIN' RAISIN BAR - those are just a few of the delights of yesteryear which are no longer with us.  One of my favourites was FRY'S 5 CENTRE, which was the same idea as FRY'S CREAM (which is still with us) but containing five fondant cream flavours in each bar as opposed to just one.


Fry's 5 Centre probably had a few wrapper designs in its lifetime, but the one I remember best is the one from the '60s.  Every Sunday night at eight o'clock precisely, my brother and myself would each be allowed to pick two bars of chocolate (one to eat there and then, one to be kept for school on Monday) from the stash kept in the small brass box at the side of my Grandpa's chair. (Sunday being not only the day of rest, but also the day we visited my Grandparents, you see.) Invariably, Fry's 5 Centre would be one of my choices.

If you're around the same age as myself, the above images will bring back hopefully happy memories from your youth.  Look at that wrapper - you can almost taste that chocolate and its delicious five-flavour fondant filling, can't you?  Yummmmm! Every person's mind has its own time machine - all it requires is the right image to operate the controls and return you to an earlier age.

6 comments:

Steve Does Comics said...

I didn't think I remembered them but, looking at that segmented one in the top illo, I believe that I do.

As for me, Sundays was always Crunchie or Munchies day. I used to eat them while reading that week's Planet of the Apes comic and then watching the Planet of the Apes show on TV. I believe it started at 7:15 and we always missed the first 15 minutes because my dad insisted on us listening to a sit-com called "The Family Branden" on Radio 2. How he could've preferred that to Planet of the Apes, I'll never know.

Kid said...

Ah, happy memories, eh? Apart from missing the first 15 minutes, that is.

Simon B said...

Hi Kid! From your list I can only remember Spangles, Super Mousse and Cresta - "It's frothy, man!" But I'll throw these names into the hat:

Icebreaker ( mint chocolate)
Texan Bar ( "Bite through the chocolate and chew... real slow" )
Nutty Bar ( ...um, nuts basically )

It's amazing I survived childhood with any teeth...

Kid said...

Yup. I remember TEXAN and NUTTY. Do you remember SKIPPY? (The chocolate bar, not the bush kangaroo.)

colcool007 said...

I defy anyone to sing Everyone's a Fruit and Nut case without thinking of Frank Muir..

Kid said...

You know what? You're right. You have to be a certain age 'though.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...